Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Talking to myself... it's the first sign they say!

I am a big fan of telling myself good things, of consciously bombarding myself with positive talk. Some call it mantra (I normally do) although I don't use Sanskrit words and I don't do it for any religious reasons, some call it affirmation. So what do I say? It depends on what I need to hear, my fallback line for when I need a self esteem boost is "I am lovable and capable". Say it loud, say it under your breath, look yourself in the mirror and say it. It works for me. I also use some for health issues from the occasional chest infection that I get to my achy breaky creaky knees ("forgiveness, understanding, compassion. I bend and flow with ease. All is well.")

I have set this week aside to really work on my attitude to life, this means a return to my gratitude journal, and remembering my mantras. This one will be playing a big part, "I have enough. I do enough. I am enough."

I'm certainly no expert here, but a few tips that have worked for me:
1. Choose a message that works for what you need right now. Find it on the net or craft it yourself.
2. Make it something you can believe in. All the mantra speaking in the world won't make me believe I can win the Tour de France next year.
3. Use positive language and talk in the present tense. Rather "I am confident" than "I won't be shy".
4. I write these on post-it notes and stick them where I will encounter them, like in my desk drawer at work.
5. Repeat as often as you need to, or as often as possible.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment